Sunday, May 29, 2011

Egg Yolk Cookies - 4 points

For two recent recipes (Shaum Torte; Mushroom and Swiss Frittata) I used 12 egg whites. One of my favorite bloggers, yummychunklet, wanted to know what to do with 12 leftover egg yolks. My Weight Watchers answer is - throw them in the trash (which is what I did when I made the frittata). However, I hate to leave people in a lurch - so here is an irresistible recipe from In the Kitchen with the AWA.

Now, while I feel that this recipe should come with a warning from the American Heart Association, the cookies truly taste amazing. Because of their high fat content, they are beautifully crispy on the outside and perfectly chewy on the inside. Their flavor is light with just a hint of lemon. I could go on with my own description, but I will steal one from a friend who told me last week that they are like, "A warm hug in cookie form".    

Egg Yolk Cookies
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups butter
3 cups sugar
12 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon flavoring

1. Combine flour, soda, and cream of tartar; set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar; add egg yolks. Stir in the flour mixture and mix well. Add the vanilla and lemon flavoring.
3. Roll into small balls, dip in sugar, flatten on a cookie sheet with the bottom of a glass. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
4. Yields apx 60 cookies


12 comments:

  1. Wow they looks o crunchy ~ munchy :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look great and man thats a lot of yolks

    ReplyDelete
  3. this seems to be an awesome cookie.. even though its 12 egg yolks, its 5 cups of flour. This is sure to make a lot of cookies. how many did u get?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the leftover yolks!
    But yes, high in points...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how you were going to use up all those yolks! These look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to have a few recipes for using up leftover egg yolks or whites. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your advise to trash the egg yolks made me smile -- I do that a lot in my home. No one likes yolk except for when I sneak them into recipes like this. Coolies look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you describe these as a warm hug in cookie form :). I'm all for that!!!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!