Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Funerals and Weird Apples

I had to go to a funeral today. It totally sucked. Not that most funerals are fun, but this one was particularly sad because it was for a young (37) friend who left behind two small children. There are not a lot of uplifting things to say about a situation like that.

On the way home, Stone and I started talking about what we want for our own funerals. I want a memorial service that really reflects who I am:

I want a memorial party, not a funeral - somewhere nontraditional - like the ballroom at a cool hotel.
I want balloons - like a birthday party - big, shiny balloons at the entrance and decorating the ballroom.
I want an ice-cream sundae bar - with all the best toppings - hot fudge, mini M'n'M's, brownie bits, praline pecans, etc. People can eat while they mingle.
I want TV's set up around the room playing my favorite movies - like The Princess Bride and my favorite episodes of Friends.
I may, at some point, want a mariachi band. I am a little up in the air on that one.

The friend we mourned today was one of the funniest people I knew. He was always playing practical jokes, finding funny videos on YouTube, and telling ridiculous LaffyTaffy style jokes. He loved to find weird food and share it with us. He would say, "You will never believe what this is!" and then pull out a chocolate covered cricket or cabbage flavored Japanese candy.

Here is a little tribute to him - a bubblegum flavored apple I found in the produce section. It tasted 90% like a normal apple, and then there was a slightly disturbing bubblegum aftertaste.  The texture was the strangest part because you have this crisp, crunchy apple but your mouth tastes like you should be blowing soft pink bubbles. He would have loved it.


19 comments:

  1. what a fun and loving tribute... young funerals are always just that little more poignant aren't they?... I love yours though... can I come? (is it wrong to want to be invited to someone's funeral!!?!?!?)... I want to be cremated and then flushed down the loo! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally welcome at my funeral! I love your plans as well. It does make me wonder if you will haunt to the loo like Moaning Myrtle in the Harry Potter books.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for you loss! How wonderful that you found such a fun way to remember him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this sucks! I'm sorry for your loss.

    Hugs,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so sorry- that is so hard when it is someone young; he sounds like such a fun person. And yes, I don't want my funeral to be all sad either but a celebration of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He was a very fun person. My friend Lisa read this post and said, "He totally would have tricked someone into eating that apple!" He definitely would have:)

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I've been to quite a few funerals in recent times and I think I'd be happy if nobody was at mine because I don't want to make anyone sad. On the other hand if you're going to have a memorial party then I'd definitely go with the mariachi band and maybe add a few magicians performing card tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate funerals. So sorry to hear about your loss of a young friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your loss, but what a great find in honor of your friend! He is somewhere smiling at your apple find. I lost a good friend about a year and a half ago who had an amazing sense of humor and I frequently think she throws funny situations in my path to make me laugh and think of her. She's never really gone and I hope you feel the same way about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about your friend :( I'm sure he would have loved this apple. Sounds like a really fun guy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice tribute. So sorry to hear about your loss. But now every time you eat this, you can think of him and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been to a funeral yet, but I'm sorry about your friend. This apple does sound strange and wacky, I'm sure he would have found it great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sad. I agree, there's very little that's sadder than the funeral of a very young person. My condolences to you, and to his family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry about your friend and the remaining family. My grandma had us celebrate her life with a Mexican food party. It was a nice way to remember her by.
    Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your friend sounds like a wonderful guy. It's sad to hear he passed away so young. These apples are the perfect tribute to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw so sorry to hear your friend...I love your ideas about your 'party'....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!