Thursday, March 17, 2011

Mixed Berry Syrup - 2 Points


My last post before I am away on holiday! (I am told there is Internet access where we are staying - Stone needs it to upload homework assignments.)

I was fresh out of homemade maple syrup the other day when Simon asked for - of course - pancakes. So, I grabbed a bag of mixed berries out of the freezer and whipped up a batch of mixed berry syrup! Simon was very pleased with the results, although he did look rather startling covered in bright red syrup. 

Mixed Berry Syrup
2 cups mixed berries (I used raspberry, blackberry and blueberry)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup sugar

1. Stir ingredients together in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
2. Place a sieve over a bowl. Pour the syrup, in small batches, into the sieve and use a spoon to gently press until all of the juice is released into the bowl.
3. Discard seeds and skin from the sieve. Transfer the syrup from the bowl to a serving dish.
4. Yields 5, 2 point servings.


The recipe for the eggless pancakes will come later:) I am linking to Frugal Friday, since making your own syrup is a great money saver.

Just a reminder that you will not be hearing from me tomorrow. I hope that you will take some time to consider helping the people of Japan. I read today that some of the major credit card companies are allowing card holders to contribute bonus points as cash to the Red Cross.

I also got a reminder from my favorite recording artist, Amy Grant, reading "Just a reminder from Team Amy -- today the devastation in Japan continues to unfold in epic numbers. Please play a part in the recovery by considering texting REDCROSS to 90999. A $10.00 donation will be charged to your cell phone bill."


12 comments:

  1. Yum! I love mixed berry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the vacation, mixed berry syrup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The berry soup looks incredible. Thanks for the reminder about the donations. That area of the world needs all the help possible at the moment. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great syrup and lovely that you posted on Japan have a fun vacation

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright girl to make this fruit syrup; hope you are having a graet holiday.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! Have fun on your holiday!

    safe travels,
    yas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made a berry sauce the other day for the pancakes...but just with blueberries. A mix of different kinds of berries sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I hope you are having a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a delicious substitute for syrup! I hope you had a lovely vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your holiday!! Sorry I've been MIA- the weather has been too nice, and yard work has been calling :) Love this syrup! I make one that's quite similar!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!