Friday, April 22, 2011

Creamy Cabbage Soup - 1 Point

Yes, this soup is one point. I know, I know, you are thinking, "That must mean it tastes bland and boring." Not so, not so? First of all - cabbage and onions are always a good combo. Add in some broth, some sausage, and black pepper - ah, perfection. One point of oh-so-good!

Creamy Cabbage Soup - 1 point
1 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
6 oz low fat chicken sausage, sliced
4 cups fat free chicken broth
3/4 cup sugar free almond milk (fat free milk could be substituted)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1. Combine cabbage, onion, sausage, and broth in a large pot. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
2. Stir milk and pepper into soup. Heat until bubbly.
3. Yields 8, 1 point servings


I have missed a few Fridays of music Friday, but I do have a song for you tonight. This one is not chosen randomly by my MP3 player as per usual. Last night at Maundy Thursday services and this morning at Good Friday service, there were beautiful performances of the African American spiritual "Were you There?" Listening to the sounds of this sad song with its African harmonies took me back to childhood; I grew up listening to "Where you There" on an old Mahalia Jackson LP. Now, if you do not know the voice of Mahalia Jackson, you are missing out on one of the most beautiful and powerful voices of all time. The emotion she can convey in a single note is unprecedented. Whatever your spiritual beliefs, I don't think you can resist being touched when you hear her sing.


Since I have missed a few Fridays, I hope you will indulge me with one more song from Mahalia Jackson. This is my favorite of her songs, another African American spiritual entitled "Sweet Little Jesus Boy". Now, there is one person in the world who I think outdoes her on this song, but since my dad's ethereal tenor cannot be found on You Tube, here is Mahalia's stirring rendition.

15 comments:

  1. Wow ! That is a alot of soup for 1pt..
    Looks really good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome soup.I like cabbage so even with 1 point I am going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really rich and creamy! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I made my first cabbage recipe EVER yesterday and now i can't wait for more! This soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so great. i love cabbage!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..nice soup...will surely try it :)

    Thanx for visiting my space and thanx for your nice words :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am off the wagon for Easter - so kudos to you! I am looking at this for next week when I return to ever-masterful WW. Happy Easter, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good and just what I need for I am starting back on WW on Monday. How many points do you think pork sausage would add? I already have some on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually like cabbage soup. It's delicious and rather filling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca- Happy Easter to you as well.
    Judee- Thank you.
    Swathi- I hope so:)
    Nandini- I hope you enjoy it.
    Joanne- Thank you.
    Suzy- Me too.
    Padhu- Thank you.
    Shannon- Thank you.
    Sobha - I enjoy your blog very much.
    Claudia - Happy Easter to you, also.
    Tiffanee - I don't think that pork sausage would add too many points because of the volume of the soup. I would guess it would raise it to 2 points a cup.
    Yummy- Me, too. I could eat rice and cabbage, or curried cabbage, or stir fried cabbage, or pretty much any cabbage every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your cabbage soup! This is one soup that's good for you and I'll try try it for sure. Great idea putting chicken sausage for extra delicious bite! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!