Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars - 4 points

Do you listen when people say things like, "I don't want a cake for my birthday." I do. I am such a good friend. When my lovely chum said she didn't not want a cake for her 29th birthday, I did not make her a cake. I made her oatmeal chocolate chip bars instead - and decorated them with a bit of frosting and candles. I thought this was so nice of me because I completely abode by her moratorium against cake.  She didn't seem to see the brilliance of my plan and was rather miffed with me. Oh, well, perhaps next year I will try cookies. Maybe that will go over better. (Everyone else present seemed quite happy and loved the bars; one guy especially, because he had second and third helpings and took another home).
 
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, beaten

1. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients save white and brown sugar.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and eggs with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the dry ingredients an stir until well blended. Spread batter into a lightly greased 9x11" pan.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Yields 24, 4 point servings


I am mentally tired from another day of Vacation Bible School, but I am not physically tired. I know I need to get to bed or I will be knackered tomorrow when I am meant to be herding small people from place to place. Perhaps I need my own celebrity lullaby to send me off to sleep.


15 comments:

  1. Ooh these look special! These would go well as a mid morning snack for work too, I love that you have added the WW points, very considerate of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So moist and delicious! I would love one now!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look lovely! What a great treat to celebrate a birthday!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love oatmeal creations Angela!I don't know how well they would be received by my family but I find that if I were to omit the nuts, they would make a very tasty as well as healthy Sunday School snack..Yummy:)Thank you for sharing! Have fun with VBS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine greedy guy chowing all of these bars :( Love the blog and glad to follow....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny. Don't want a cake yet miffed? Well I would certainly welcome these oaty chocolate bars. That lullaby cracked me up! Bon courage, as they say here, for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A birthday bar sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These do look very special! I am sure your friend was thrilled with this delicious birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe that's cute! And saying not to cake doesn't mean no to cookies automatically does it? :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they're perfect for a birthday! Shame on the miffed friend. Next year she gets a lump of coal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can make these for me for my birthday and I won't get mad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe, and I ADORE Ricky Gervais!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a cake person so this is perfect for me! It looks and sounds so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!