Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes - 3 points

Today was...well, kind of Monday. Except, on Tuesday. I had to keep detention after school today. I realize that the kids are the ones being detained, but being trapped in the room full of teenagers who are all unhappy to be there feels sort of like I am the one being punished. When I got home, I needed some comfort food.

I usually make this recipe with regular potatoes, but I decided to try it with sweet potatoes this time. Oh. My. Gosh. Why on earth did I not do this ages ago? They were so very, very good.

Note of caution: I like spicy food. So, if you are a person who prefers your fare mild, you will probably want to cut the spices in half and add a little seasoning salt instead.

Spicy Roasted Sweet Potatoes - 3 points
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 clove garlic, halved
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion salt

1. Rub sweet potatoes all over with garlic, cut side down.
2. In a small bowl, combine spices. Sprinkle over both sides of each potato.
3. Place sweet potatoes cut side down on a non-stick oven safe dish or one sprayed with non-stick spray. (I used my large pizza stone, so no need for spray). Spritz potatoes very lightly with a kitchen spritzer full of olive oil.
4. Roast potatoes in 375F oven for 45 minutes.
5. Yields 4, 3 point servings

6 comments:

  1. That looks amazing. I'm a have to get my hands on some. What a fabulous discovery. Sweet Potatos really do change lives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks so scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the spicy/sweet combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes, this makes a great healthy alternative to fries/chips.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I love spicy sweet potatoes. The combo is just perfect and doesn't require a lot of extra fat or calories. Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm glad to know about yours too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!