Monday, January 3, 2011

Diet Cola Brownies - 4 points

Yesterday was food pantry day at church, which means that I was going through my cabinets trying to get a bag of food together at 8:00 AM (heaven forbid I should plan ahead). I noticed that there are a lot of things in my cabinet that are not going to make Weight Watchers happy. I put several of them in my food pantry bag, and then decided to put aside a box of brownies for my Sunday school class.

When I looked at the directions on the box, the recipe called for three whole eggs and a half a cup of oil! Wow! That is just a whole lot of fat, and I knew that I was going to be tempted to eat one when they were sitting in the middle of the Sunday school table. There had to be a healthier way to make those brownies. I looked at the Betty Crocker website for inspiration and found a recipe for brownies made with Coke.

Baking with canned soda is not a foreign idea to me. In the south, a Dr. Pepper chocolate cake is a staple of the covered dish dinner (AKA dinner on the ground or pot luck). This recipe called for much less oil than the one on the box, and I figured that diet soda would work just as well as regular.

I don't know how the brownies would have tasted otherwise, but the Diet Cola version was amazing - delicious- moist - fabulous! Everyone loved them.  Here is the recipe, which I adapted to be a little bit friendlier to the waistline.

Diet Cola Brownies
1 box brownie mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup diet soda
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vinegar
1/8 cup powdered sugar

1. Pour brownie mix, oil, egg, and soda into a medium bowl.
2. Pour 1/2 cup milk into a measuring cup; add the vinegar to the milk. The milk should immediately curdle.
3. Add the milk mixture to the other ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
4. Spread the batter into a greased 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
5. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the brownies before cutting into 24, 4 point servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!