Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stollen Pudding with Apricot Brandy Sauce - 15 Points

You know how people complain about getting fruit cake for Christmas? I'm sure you've heard the jokes about using it as a paperweight or the comments about "who eats that?" Well, I love fruit cake. I really do. I am a good German American girl, and I can totally chow down on some dark rum cherry fruit cake or a nice, light stollen. This is good, because it seems that German American families like to give each other fruit cake.

Even thought I love it, I still get too much of it. After all, I am single. So, really, how many fruit cakes can I physically eat? That's okay, though, because too much fruit cake means...pudding!

My family is coming for Sunday lunch tomorrow, which means that I am cooking Sunday lunch tonight. We all go to church, and I don't feel like cooking a big meal after sitting in church and Sunday school. Sunday at my house means crock pot or something that reheats well. Guess what reheats really well. Pudding!

Stollen is a traditional German fruit bread. Every woman in my family thinks that she makes the best stollen in the world. Perhaps I will share some of their recipes with you sometime. For now, let's start with the pudding. You can buy any fruit bread at a store and make this recipe. It will knock your socks off.

Stollen Pudding
4 cups milk (I use soy)
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
12 cups stale stollen, cubed
1 cup golden raisins
1. Heat the milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl until the butter has completely melted.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, and eggs until smooth. Stir in stollen and raisins. Pour milk over the mixture, and gently turn until the stollen is well coated.
3. Pour the mixture into a deep casserole dish. Place the dish in a larger, rectangular pan.
4. Place the pan, with the casserole dish in it, in an oven heated to 350. When the pan is secured on the rack, pour boiling water into the pan all around the casserole (about 1 1/2 deep). Do not pour the water before putting the pan in the oven or you run a greater risk of scalding yourself!
5. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove the casserole dish from the pan before removing the pan from the oven. This, again, lowers your chance of scalding yourself. 

Stollen Pudding should be served with Apricot Brandy Sauce. Of course, if you are like me, you can also just drink the sauce. But, you shouldn't. It is very, very bad for your hips.

Apricot Brandy Sauce
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup salted butter
1/2 cup apricot brandy

Heat all ingredients over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved.

For Weight Watcher's fans, the Stollen Pudding makes 16, 9 point servings. The Apricot Brandy Sauce makes 16, 6 point servings.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comments!