Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bobotee- 4 points

Bobotee is a traditional South African meatloaf. My mom got this recipe (well, the original, non-Weight Watchered version) from a South African woman who was Mom's pupil. I remember the first time Mom tried it; her excitement over the new recipe was matched by our enthusiasm consuming it!

Bobotee- 4 points
1 slice high fiber bread
1 cup low fat soy milk, plain
1 onion, chopped
1 apple, chopped
3 egg whites
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp Splenda

1. Soak the bread in milk for 1 hour, then squeeze out as much milk as possible (being sure to save the milk).
2. Spray a small skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Saute onion over medium heat until translucent.
3. Mix bread, milk, and onions with all remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
4. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes in a 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 450F for 20 minutes if in muffin tins.
5. Yields 12, 4 point servings

Note: Traditionally, 3 lemon leaves are rolled up and stuck into the meat before baking. This does add a wonderful flavor. However, I live too far North to have a lemon tree in my yard now, so I omitted this ingredient. Also, you can put 2 of the egg whites in the meat. Take the remaining egg white, beat it with 2 tbsp milk, and pour it over the meat after 45 minutes of cooking. Leave the bobotee in the oven long enough for the egg to set. Since I made my bobotee in my Pampered Chef Stonewear Muffin Pan, I did not attempt to pour the egg over the individual bobotees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!