Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cream Cheese and Fruit French Toast - 5 points, 1 point

This morning, before I started feeling a nasty winter cold coming on, my nephew joined me for breakfast Auntie Antics. He likes French toast, so I tried this recipe from my Lean and Luscious cookbook (with a few tweaks, of course). It turned out very well and tasted quite decadent for five points.

Cream Cheese and Fruit French Toast
4 slices of high fiber bread such as WhiteWheat
2 tbsp nuefchatel cheese
2 tbsp all fruit spread
1 egg white
1/4 cup vanilla almond mild
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Create two sandwhich using 2 pieces of bread, 1 tbsp cream cheese, and 1 tbsp fruit spread for each.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Place sandwiches in the bowl. Let sit for five minutes. Turn, and leave for another five minutes.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; spray with kitchen spritzer or non stick cooking spray such as Pam. Fry sandwiches one at a time, turning when browned.
4. Yields 2, 5 point sandwiches

Below are our two sandwiches. I made Simon's with whole wheat bread, which he prefers, so it is slightly higher in points than if using a high fiber white bread as called for in the recipe. Simon also wanted syrup, which would add an additional point.  I sprinkled mine with a dusting of powdered sugar and served each with a side of sliced bananas.

I also make my own syrup. I was out of maple syrup one day and didn't feel like going to the store. Now, my family just likes it better (and it is much cheaper to make your own).

"Maple" Syrup
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp maple flavoring

1. In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
2. Cover; cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from stove and allow 10 minutes of cooling time before gently stirring in vanilla and maple.
4. 1 point per tbsp

By mid afternoon, my throat hurt and my nose was running and I was very whiny. So, no cooking supper. Stone, the best friend, came over and cooked for me while I lay on the couch watching Cinderella. He even cleaned up the kitchen when we were done with dinner. What a guy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Feel better soon! I was out sick last week myself. It's just no fun being sick. French toast would make me smile ANY day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the good wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!