Monday, January 24, 2011

Lebanese Beef Stew - 5 points

Years ago I purchased a fabulous cookbook called Step by Step Lebanese Cooking. It has very few recipes in it, but every single one that I have tried is outstanding. Probably my favorite is the beef and okra stew. Unfortunately, it is so full of meat and potatoes that it was going to break my Weight Watcher's points bank. So, I made some modifications. Now, do I miss the vast quantities of meat? Yes, because most days I could eat a small cow. However, this is still a very good stew that gives me a rich flavor without costing a fortune in points.

Beef and Okra Stew - 5 points
1 lb round steak, cubed
2 medium onions, chopped
1/3 cup red wine
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
2 cubes beef bouillon
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 cups frozen okra
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups water

1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat; spray with non-stick cooking spray. Saute onion until well browned.
2. Add meat, browning on all sides. Add wine, tomatoes, and cilantro. Cover and simmer 35 minutes.
3. Add cauliflower, bouillon cubes, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Add parsely and okra; simmer 10 minutes, covered.
5. Yields 6, 5 point servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!